Some of you may have seen this on facebook – as requested by Lucas Steele for his birthday. Well, as part of Gaypril we are sharing our favourite recipes with our dear readers. And this is an office favourite.
Fair warning, I am vegan so this recipe has no animal products in it, but it’s still a favourite for my vegan and non-vegan friends alike.
You will need:
1 1/4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup warm water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp distilled white or apple cider vinegar
And some ingredients for the chocolate glaze:
1/2 cup sugar
4 tbsp margarine
2 tbsp soy milk
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
If you don’t care to make it vegan, or don’t have soy milk or margarine, you can use butter in place of the margarine, and whatever milk you prefer in place of the soy.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a bowl mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt with a fork, making sure it is really blended together. Add the water, vanilla, oil, and vinegar, and again, mix together so that it’s really blended together.
- Pour mixture into a cake tin and bake for about 30 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Cool on a rack completely (usually about 2 hours).
- Now to make the glaze. In a small saucepan, bring sugar, margarine, milk, and cocoa to a boil.
- Stir frequently; then reduce heat to a simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. It’ll look gloppy, but it’s just the bubbles!
- Remove from heat and stir for another 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla, stir, and immediately pour onto cake. Glaze dries really quickly, so spread it immediately and add any sprinkles now (naturally being Gaypril you must have rainbow sprinkles).
- Let this cool for an 1 hour (if you can wait that long)
- Cut and add Matt Petersen’s mini rainbow flags to each piece to serve.
Well I hope you enjoy this chocolate birthday cake. We’ll be having some in the office tomorrow for @ClaireLTravers birthday!
Tweet Lucas and let him know if you enjoyed it @XciteGay. And Happy Gaypril!